Monday 3 February 2020

To be happy or not- the ball is in your court

“I lost my fingers due to burning. I used to live in Khaira village and there was no hospital. I am suffering from this condition since 20 years. One day a man in my village told me about a hospital in Wadala. I went there for the treatment. Since then, the pain is less. The doctor told me that there is no treatment available for my condition and it is non-communicable. If I touch you, you will not be affected. This condition does not stop me from anything. I love to cook. I make chapattis, mutton and fish. Fish is my favorite. Earlier I used to go to catch fish but now I have stopped. One of my legs got injured while fishing and it is still in the recovering phase. I am alone in my home but I don’t like being alone, so I come here (Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus) every morning from Monday to Saturday to beg. This the only source of money I have. My husband died 20 years ago. He had no savings. I earned and married off my two daughters. I am 70 years old and my daughters are 40 and 30 years old. They rarely come to visit me. They cannot help me financially as their in-laws are against it. Today a woman gave me ‘dhokhla’ so my dinner is done and I will not cook today. In evening I go back, watch television and then go to sleep. I know there is a lot of struggle but what can I do? I try to remain happy and enjoy the rest of my life,” says Budibai
.
Budibai outside CSMT

No comments:

Post a Comment