Tuesday 21 May 2019

How to crack XIC online entrance test (OET) entrance exam



I have completed PGDM in Journalism and Mass Communication from XIC. Currently, I am working with CarbonCopy. You can find my work on Muck Rack.

Since I found it very difficult to get the details about XIC online entrance test (OET), I wrote this blog in 2019.

The blog comprises of XIC OET sample paper pattern and how I prepared for the entrance exam.

Let me clarify one thing at first, St. Xavier's College and XIC are two different entities.

What is the placement scenario at XIC?

Also, XIC placement is not good. Half of our class is struggling to find a job. With COVID the condition has worsened.

If you are joining XIC don't depend upon the college for placements. Keep looking for opportunities by yourself.

XIC Entrance Exam Pattern

The XIC online entrance test(OET) took place on 18th May 2019 in Delhi. I appeared for the exam. The timing was 11-12:30 but XIC OET did not start at that time. As soon as you reach the venue you can start writing the test. It is an online test for one and a half hour.


How to Prepare for XIC OET?

So I have been preparing for the entrance examination of Journalism colleges. I googled a lot about the XIC OET sample paper pattern but there was nothing much about it. So I thought why shouldn't I write about t and help the upcoming batch to clear XIC OET.

I have been going through current affairs to prepare for XIC OET but it was not helpful. 

Objective Questions in XIC OET

The entrance exam has two sections: objective and subjective. The objective part has a lot of parts each comprising of different fields. The objective section is of 60 minutes The first part was general knowledge. 

Current affairs were not asked in the exam. There was also a part of verbal and nonverbal reasoning. There were many match the columns. Read the taglines of different brands. It will help you to get good marks.

There were also picture questions that consisted of famous personalities. One of the parts contains some media-related questions.

There were also questions on mirror images of certain words.
The timer starts ticking as soon as you submit the objective part. 

Subjective Questions

The subjective part of XIC OET consists of 3 questions with 30 minutes time limit. The first question is picture writing. You have to write a story according to the picture given in 100 words.

The second question was a general view question. For example, how the technologies introduced by the government are not helping poor people. The word limit was 250. 

In the third question, there are two topics and you have to write on either of the topics in 150 words. 

Keep in mind the time before writing the essays. Don't spend much time on the first question since you have to write minimum characters. Utilize your time effectively. 

Once you submit the subjective section the screen displays your marks for the objective part. Tell one of the invigilators about it. They will confirm your result from the authorities. If you happen to clear the cut off you will be called for an interview. 

Interview

I had a skype interview. The interviewers were very friendly. They made me very comfortable. They asked me why I wanted to join a journalism course at XIC. It was followed by my opinion of Ravish Kumar(as I had mentioned him in my interview). They also asked me about Punya Prasun Bajpai.

We had a discussion about PM Modi's interview with Akshay Kumar and his radar comment. They asked me whether I follow regional politics. After that, they also put up a question from my statement of purpose. They asked whether I follow international news also. The next question was about Brexit. They asked me where I want to work in Delhi or Mumbai. At last, they asked me if I had any questions to ask from them.

Feedback on the whole process

The XIC OET interview part was good and quite enriching. We had a very good interaction on various facts. The part on XIC OETexam which needs to be focussed on is the subjective part because time is limited. Nevertheless, you are only called for the interview if you pass in the objective section. So prepare well and all the best. ๐Ÿ˜€

Also if you want to experience XIC through pictures, check the link: XIC through my lens

For more information, you connect with me on Instagram or LinkedIn.

59 comments:

  1. Are you going to take admission in Xavier's or will u wait for other exams results?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure yet. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am joining, please let me know if you are going as well . We can meet up :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      The questions were quite general. I don't remember much. The ones I can remember was about UN motto, Deccan herald, blue chip.

      Delete
  4. Sunanda Pandey5 June 2019 at 20:22

    Hey!Thank you so much for the information. Can you tell me about the portfolio we must submit while registering for the entrance exam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      It is not compulsory. Moreover i didn't have portfolio so I didn't submit.

      Delete
  5. Hi.
    I am in 12th rn and wish to pursue BMMC or any other media related course. So do you have any idea as to how that might be different from your exam and interview or basically your overall experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I have done my graduation from a different field so I will not be able to help you with that. Moreover you can get access of the previous year entrance exam paper online. Analyse them and you will get the idea about it. Read newspaper daily, it helps a lot. There is also a book by Arihant for Mass communication but I didn't find it much helpful.
      All the best.

      Delete
  6. hello , im an aspirant of master in mass communication currently m in du final year . can you tell me from where i can study ?? about brands and logos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a logo based game app on google by the name Quiz:Logo Game. It will somewhat help you. Rest you can Google the brands in Google.

      Delete
  7. HELLO
    I WANT TO TAKE ADMISSION IN MASTERS IN PUBLIC RELATIONS.
    WHAT IS THE SYLLABUS AND EXAM PATTERN FOR THIS???

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello,
    Thanks for this. i have few questions to ask you about this, coming from an entirely diff field like commerce is this a suitable course to do? Like you've mentioned about the selection procedure is it necessary to have a SOP and a prior work experience in any field to be able to sit in the exam ?


    if you could please answer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOP is must. Prior work experience is not required. I have many people in my class from commerce background. If you want to pursue Journalism and Mass Communications, you can be from any field and pursue it.

      Delete
  9. Hey, I wish to do diploma in advertising and marketing from XIC, could you tell me if its worth it? How's your experience been so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about the course but XIC has the maximum number in ADMA only.

      Delete
  10. XIC is good for Master in journalism or Film and Television can you plz tell ? BTW thanks a lot for above information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Diploma course not masters. I don't have any idea about Film and Television. Both fields focus on different aspects, go according to your choice. Journalism XIC is more tilted towards print Journalism so make your decision wisely.

      Delete
  11. Hey thanks for information can you plz tell film and Television in XIC is good or not and about placements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am from Journalism batch. I haven't been in contact with any alumni of FT department. Will let you know if I get any information.

      Delete
  12. Can you elaborate on their placement scenario? Also, please advise some books for the entrance test.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The placements are going to start in February, I can only tell you after that.

      Delete
  13. Hey, can you tell me about the placements in journalism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The placements are going to start in February, I can only tell you after that.

      Delete
  14. Hey Swati. Thanks for writing this blog. It was really helpful. Can you please tell me a little more about the selection procedure as in do they take past acads into consideration and if so, then is their a minimum cut-off for that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. Thank you for this insightful post. I am however confused. Is there or isn't there a Group Discussion Round ? Many websites have students commenting on the group discussion. Please do let me know if it's only the test and then an interview.

    Thanks and regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journalism branch had an interview process, I am not sure about other branches.

      Delete
  17. Hi, I am from Nepal and I am planning to apply to XIC for PG Diploma in advertising and marketing. I wanted to know if there is any international student quota and if we have to go through a different process for admission or do we give the same OET test ? Any information regarding this would be a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  18. is it worth to persue diploma in ADMA from XIC ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. and please can you suggest the legit study material for this one

    ReplyDelete
  20. What exactly we need to give in sop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just write why do you want to pursue the course.

      Delete
  21. How to prepare for general knowledge section?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tanya Srivastava12 March 2020 at 20:26

    Hey, thank you so much for this blog. It was very helpful. To be honest, really scared about this whole entrance test and interviews. People say it’s quite difficult to be cracked by an average student. Can you enlighten about that.
    Also,I wanted to know how and from where to prepare for XIC OET and when can I apply for the same??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check the XIC website, I think the applications will be out in April, not sure. I wrote the exam on May 18th last year.

      Delete
  23. Hello swati thank you so much for this insightful blog.. however i wanted to ask a few more queries regarding xic and i wanted to know what kind of questions come in current affairs and was that asked a lot.. i iant to specialize in sports journalism so is there a particular subject that helps me do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will learn about it once you join the course.

      Delete
  24. In subjective questions do we have to write the answers or type it? How can we keep the count of words? Like when I filled the form, there were some questions to be answered within 100 words. Would it be like that?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes you have to type the answers! And the word limit will be specified there. You will get to know when you are done

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, I am interested in both the fields of advertising and journalism. However, my undergraduation is in law. I want to know from you whether applying in both the fields is a good idea and will not harm me in any case (in case I reach interview will they question me why applying in two fields)? What do you suggest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should not be an issue but try to figure out the pros and cons of both fields. The interviewers will be different for both the interviews. Just to give you a heads-up the placement of advertising is good at XIC.

      Delete
  27. HEY,can you please suggest where to study from for XIC's OET.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey, thanks for the insightful blog about the OET. However, can you elaborate more on the GK part? Also, were the questions in MCQ format?

    ReplyDelete
  29. thankyou for writing the blog, can you please tell what kind of questions to expect in objective section, were there any reasoning or quantitative questions?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi..you said there were a lot of match the columns...what type of questions were asked in match the columns?was it match the taglines\logo with the brand or related to something other?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey, I have given the OET and interview for Journalism. Can you please tell me what is the placement scenario like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to coronavirus our placement scenario was bad. Even before the pandemic only two media companies BCCL and Cogencis came for hiring.

      Delete
  32. hey i am giving my OET in event planning and experiential marketing this year on 9th may came across this blog very late can you help me out with the subjective type question on this

    ReplyDelete
  33. hey i am planning to join xic is the entrance exam hard to crack . can you give me some tips so that i can prepare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the tips.
      All I know is mentioned in the blog. I don't have any new information to add.
      All the best.

      Delete